Thursday, September 18, 2014

Student Voice Live - 9/20 in NYC: Calling All Innovative Educators

Guest post by student, Keaton Wadzinski


It started with just a few students and allies connecting over Twitter. Then came the weekly #StuVoice Twitter Chats, Facebook conversations, then Google Hangouts, which all led to the first ever Student Voice Live! in April of 2013.

What caught on so quickly? The Student Voice movement.

Once started, the spark of student voice caught fire, igniting the drive to create Student Voice, the for-students-by-students 501 (c) 3 non-profit dedicated to revolutionizing education through the voices and actions of students.

Event details
Innovative Educators are invited to join in this exceptional work on Saturday, September 20th, at Student Voice Live! 2014 at Shootdigital Studios (23 East Fourth St. New York, NY, 10003). Come to contribute your ideas, support, and passion by registering at http://stuvoice.org/student-voice-live. If you can’t attend, you can watch via livestream here and follow our Twitter stream @Stu_Voice!

This year’s event promises a fresh perspective on solutions to improve our education system while giving students a head seat at the table. We expect the 2014 summit to be even greater than the last, convening more than 300 education advocates, as well as Hunger Games actress Jaqueline Emerson, author of the New York Times best-selling novel, “The Smartest Kids in the World,” Amanda Ripley, The Director of the Office of Education Technology at the U.S. Department of Education, Richard Culatta, and high school student, cancer researcher, and entrepreneur Jack Andraka to name a few.

Students want you there
The student-teacher relationship is at the core of an educational experience. As a student, I cannot even begin to express my gratitude for the incredible educators who have set me up to succeed for the past fourteen years of my life. What makes them incredible is how much they care and how much they listen to student voices, mine included. I like to see it metaphorically-- I raise my hand, and my teachers consistently call on me. When they do, they listen and support me. As a result, I feel like I matter, and that my voice is heard.

Over the past two years, the Student Voice movement has raised its collective hand. Thanks to the support of educators and fellow stakeholder allies, we are making a difference and we hope you will be able to be a part of this important work.

If you have any questions and/or would like to connect, you can reach me at keaton@stuvoice.org!

No comments:

Post a Comment